Sunday, November 17, 2013

The "Sow it to Grow it" Challenge!

Isn’t it funny? We know that when we plant onions we aren’t expecting strawberries to pop out.  And when we plant an apple tree, we aren’t looking for string beans to form on it.  The truth is, what you sow is what you expect to grow!  No real surprise there.  And I am going to point out that what is true in nature is true spiritually.  Yep, it really is!!  So, going off of that – why, why, why, do we wonder at the crops we’re growing?  Why do we sow disappointment, fear, anxiety, tiredness, sarcasm, hate, anger, impatience, pride, mistrust, contempt, shame and wonder that our crop contains not one piece of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, etc..?

OK, please let me confess.  I have tried to reap a good crop by planting bad seed - idiotic, I know. I have responded to the world with what the world dishes out.  I tried to protect, combat, defend and live in a way with the world’s ways by doing the same (only from a self-righteous churchyosity point of view).  Hideous seed!  Not only did it not change one thing in the world, I actually reaped a bumper crop of UGGG-LEE unto myself!  So, yeah, I know about this first hand.  Lil farmer December did not do well at that.

But, a few years ago I had an absolutely amazing opportunity to do the complete opposite.  So guess what – against all my doubts and despite all my fears – I did it.  I stepped out and listened to God’s leading and sowed compassion, outrageous faith, love, joy, patience and “winsome words” in the face of hatred, contempt, sabotage, fear and rejection.  AND…I am STILL REAPING AN AMAZING HARVEST!  And boy is the fruit sweet! I literally have to pinch myself to make sure I’m awake at times.  I’ve never seen the likes of it!  And the world has shifted. I literally went into this with no real expectation of seeing some things change.  I thought, “Okay, God is big and He can do what He wants to here”. But I didn’t think it would be personal things for ME.  Really, I never expected it.  I found that not only did hate turn to kindness, but contempt and rejection turned to acceptance and honor.  And it was not only personal (both in me and around me) but a change for many others and just the whole atmosphere of things in general too! How does that happen?  The seeds, my friends.  Seeds can only produce after their kind.  And, when you do it under God’s direction and guidance – He provides the sunshine, water and all other things needed.  And isn’t that good news?!  Cause, hey, you plant knowing what you’ll get and in line with what God wants to do!! 

So, here it is, I AM CHALLENGING YOU!!   Take the, "Sow It To Grow It" Challenge!!!  Pick the most difficult, discouraging, painful and negative situation, person, place in your life right now – and daily sow love, peace, joy, encouragement, patience, faith, trust, goodness, honor, gentleness into it with intention.  I did this for an extended period of time, but even if you try it for 30 days, it will reap rewards.  But to see a really amazing harvest – go for longer – set a longer goal and the harvest will be much larger.  Hey, map it out if it helps you be mindful – take a calendar and put a daily action you’ll take or note one daily after you’ve done it to keep track – check off a daily action. Find ways (direct or indirect) to sow with gracious generosity into these places, people and/or situations.  Be creative – you don’t have to do something direct with a contentious person to sow into them.  I did many things anonymously and it produced some miraculous things!  And, little seeds can grow some of the biggest plants – so don’t think it takes million dollar gestures to reap big rewards.  In fact, some of the smallest, but sincere efforts are rewarded with the biggest yields!! I loved blessing people and praying for their abundant favor, gladness, joy, health and provision.  And, writing encouraging things anonymously.  Providing little things needed like honor and humility in holding someone else up.   And, I sat with the Lord looking at the person, situation, and place and asking for His eyes for it.  I did things from His point of view and with His vision for it.  In most cases, initially, there was no evidence of anything but barren ground.  And there was where I planted good things with trust that they would grow, leaving it to God as to when and how.  I can’t tell you how lush the growth and harvest has been, but I’m hooked now!  And, I encourage you to take note of what grows, as far as you can tell - but don't hold your expectations of how or what it will be. Sometimes if you are in a situation where you can't see directly, it may be more difficult, but some of those things are the most rewarding when you find out later how things changed. And, some things we won't know til we meet in eternity, but they're still worth sowing and growing! Farmer December is even now sowing into some really hideous ground with cheerful expectancy!!  Oooh – yep, sprouts coming up all over!! Whoot!! Whoot!

So, now, it’s YOUR TURN!  I challenge you!!  Take this challenge and you will be astonished – guaranteed!!  I’d love to hear how you do, so, if you take this challenge, write a response here to let me know how you did it and how it went!   Great or small – share your harvest and it will multiply the harvest to others!!!  The more outlandishly unlikely the person, situation and/or place, the more astonishing your results will be!!! :D Come on – nothing to lose but lots to gain!!!  GO FOR IT!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post