Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Papa's Girl

This week Papa has been on my mind.
My Dad had a trip to the emergency room last weekend and underwent an unexpected surgery on the neck (vertebrae) to prevent paralysis.  At the writing of this, he still has another surgery, but God has been so out ahead on everything and I am so thankful.  Just got off the phone with him and he's anxious to get back to his new puppy dog and the regular routine of home with his wife, friends and family.

Growing up, my Dad seemed like a giant of a man to me.  He was big and tall (6 ft 3) strong arms, a big deep voice and he liked to play and wrestle my brother and I on the living room floor. We had to be very quiet coming home from school every day as he was always sleeping and worked nights. You could hear him all over the house - his bass voice shaking the walls  - as he sang in the shower, "AS I WALKED OUT ON THE STREETS OF LAREDO.  AS I WALKED OUT ON LAREDO ONE DAY, I SPIED A YOUNG COWBOY ALL WRAPPED IN WHITE LINEN, WRAPPED IN WHITE LINEN AS COLD AS THE CLAY".  Some of the most fun and memorable times for me were when our Dad would take us (my brother and I) swimming at the pool or beach. He could hold his breath so long and just lay on the bottom of the pool, then he'd rush up from underneath and throw you into the air and down you'd splash!  Since we were swimmers it was always fun.  He'd give us rides on his back in the pool too (like a dolphin!).  And, when we'd go to the beach, he'd swim way out and bring us back shells, sand dollars and even a horseshoe crab once.  Some of the other favorite times with Dad were family camping.  We'd all go together with my aunt, uncle and cousins and tent camp in places like Mammoth and June Lake.  We made trips on our own or with our scout troops to Joshua Tree, the Grand Canyon, O'Neill Park, Trabuco Canyon and other parks.  We had a little green 66 Volkswagen Beetle that had a special rack on top and my Dad (who was very good at packing, rope and knots) would tie our camp kitchen (a hinged box he made to carry our dry goods, stove, pans and kitchen camp things) along with all of our camp gear surrounded by a heavy tarp. We'd find our camp, pitch our tents, set up our bags and kitchen.  We'd hike and Dad, my brother, cousins and uncle would fish.   It was some of the best times of our lives.  We'd sing around the campfire, play games and make S'more's.  I love my Dad and am thankful for a wonderful childhood with him.  My Dad didn't always make good choices, but I love him dearly, despite his failings. I learned that I have failings just like he does and though he hurt our family very deeply, I learned that I could forgive him and love him, just like my heavenly father does me!

I have another Papa too - God's so good to me!  I've been praying for this papa too as he goes about his life. For many years now I've had a spiritual Father who has taught, encouraged, modeled, facilitated and just plain been a joy to my heart. He's taught me Father God's heart of love and healing!  Pastor Joe Johnson is an amazing gift from God.  I'm so thankful I've had a chance to learn from him, be encouraged by him, and grow up in Christ along side him.  But more than anything - I just really love him for him (he's really hilarious - ask him to tell an Ole and Sven joke or put on his dreadlocks or just hear him laugh - your laugh is healing Joe!!).  His Father Heart anointing is such an outflow of who he is and the joy of Jesus just shines out of every pore. In later years, his ministry "Heart of the Father" (of course, what else!) has brought love, healing and hope to so many hurting people. God uses him to break off chains and free people.  He is also equipped to equip the body as well as heal (what a great combo that God uses so wonderfully). I always sort of can't believe that I am fortunate enough to know him, let alone be friends with him.  The longer I know him, the more I come to appreciate so many things about who he is (some he's not even aware of!). He's always learning, growing and trying new things - listening to Papa and Jesus for guidance and more than anything - he's always doing his best to be himself and enjoy God more.  I think of all things, this one thing was what made me like him so very much and want to learn from him.  I've struggled to be me and know God.  Joe has given me the freedom to be myself more and helped me walk closer to God than ever.  I've been so blessed to travel with him to Norway, Tucson, and parts of California. What a great Papa he has always been to me.  I pray for many more years of enjoying him.

Last, but certainly not least - I have an amazing Father in Heaven.  He is constantly revealing more of who He is and His heart to me and the world.  He delights in me - smiles when I spend time with Him (His smile is quite brilliant too!).  He tells me I'm His baby girl and loves to listen when I share my dreams and hopes - He encourages me and tells me I can! He provides everything I need - abundantly!!  He holds my hands as I walk.  I always want to do my very best for Him - not because I fear Him, but because He's so wonderful, I never want to disappoint Him.  I do fear His awesome power and holiness - but He shows me I'm becoming more like Jesus and He's making me able in everything He wants - to shine glory on Jesus.  He sings and dances over me.  He lifts me up and holds me close - comforting me.  He invites me into His throne room and I am his beloved child, welcome to come to Him and sit with Him snuggled up by His side.  I love being with Him and that He gave us Jesus.  He tells the most wonderful things about Jesus and I love to watch His eyes when He does.  They're so full of love - like when He looks at me.

Papas - our world so needs papas.  So thankful for ALL of mine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post