Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Daddy

Shoulders so strong and arms so wide
I always felt safe and loved inside

With a voice so deep and a stance so tall
Most people’d think twice before bluffing his call

He loved all kinds of swimming, he’d give rides on his back!
And when we’d go fishing he’d bring back a pack!

As his daughter I feared when my first date came knockin
Cause there was ol dad - rifle in hand - in his chair just a rockin

So deep and so loud country songs in the shower 
Why our neighbors all over knew dad’s great lung power


He enjoyed making projects, had an inventive mind
And his friends they’ll all tell you, my dad was so kind

He’d spoil dogs and hummingbirds – he was an animal lover
And his image of a tough guy – well that's mostly a cover

To protect a tender heart, both loving and giving
He overcame lots of stuff and learned about forgiving

My dad was affectionate, fun and good cheer
His humor was dry and his laugh was so dear

Oh the times that we shared and trips that we made
The laughter and memories  - not one would I trade

Though there are things that my dad did that hurt and caused pain
I can’t help but love him, forgive him and remain

His daughter through the thick and the thin of this life
Though I’m happily married - long a mother and wife

And when they ask, do you miss him, I’ll answer quite true
Yes I miss him so much – yes I miss him I do

But I know where to find him when I’m missing him so
I just look right at Jesus – he’s right here – don’t you know?

And my dad’s right here with him, so joyful and free
One found in Lord Jesus can’t be lost – don’t you see?

And one day I’ll be like him – face to face with our Lord
With God’s great adventures – we’ll never be bored!

Thanks, God, for my papa, how the years went with speed
Til we meet again, love to you daddy – from your little girl Deed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post